Friday, July 16, 2010

The Swim Continues

Hi Everyone! How are things?

Just wanted to update you on my swimming progress:

Not Michael Phelps yet but I am MUCH better than I was before. Luckily, I'm a very dedicated person and always play Brian's instructions (in my head), stroke for stroke. My breathing is better than ever before...but I gotta ask, HOW do you keep water from going up your nose and choking you?? AH, I always feel like such a putz when I end up in a coughing fit from snorting water. The burning!

So the nose breathing is one weakness...the other one would be my kicking. I usually kick my feet at the edge of the pool for a while to practise...but as soon as I start swimming, they both kind of sink. Also, I tend to curve to the left! As you can tell, this is all a total learning experience for me...but I'm determined. I swam 20 very baby laps, did 3 sets of pushups and 3 sets of tricep dips off the edge of the pool . The tricep dips were brutally hard today...I was hopeful it was because I got a good arm workout from the swim itself?

Anyway, I hope you all are enjoying your current workout routine! Anything new you wanna try?

2 comments:

  1. Try humming while have your face in the water. I find this helps with breathing under water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried talking to a swim coach Naz? The swim coach I had improved my swimming immensely. Teaching you to properly rotate your body to not put strain on your rotator cuffs, pull across your body, good drills for making you kick etc. Tons of little things can make the swim so much more enjoyable, but awesome job. Your arms shouldn't be too sore from swimming, you should be using mostly your core during swimming. Search Ian Thorpe on youtube and check out some of the underwater videos of him swimming. I can't swim like him, but I sure try to emulate him as best I can.

    Dale

    ReplyDelete