Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Well, I'm back on a normal training routine and have decided to change it up a bit - it's always good to switch up your routine after about 4 weeks...to avoid plateaus and give your muscles a chance to learn something new. I can go in to more detail in another blog.

So today was Chest day - my routine typically consists of 4-5 exercises, 3 sets of 20 reps each. I keep the reps high to train my muscular endurance. Also, I build muscle in my upper body rather quickly so I stay away from heavier weights.

So today instead of my typical routine, I decided to do a modified "pyramid" routine - I just did full push-ups, starting at 20, then doing 19, then 18, then 17...all the way down to 1, with a little bit of rest between each set. This adds up to 210 push ups! Talk about training muscular endurance. By the 5th set - 16 push ups - you already feel the fatigue set in. A full pyramid routine would have you going all the way back up to 20 - I didn't think this was necessary to do on my first go at it. I highly recommend you try it!

I followed this by a power walk around the beautiful lake nearby. During this time, I thought about how life is so different from how it was a few years ago. For St Patty's Day, I would have made plans at least a week in advance...these plans would no doubt consist of drinking copious amounts of alcohol with my friends and eating all sorts of deliciously fried food along with it. But today, I trained clients, did 210 pushups, and went for a 45 minute walk outside! Tonight, I plan on grilling turkey burgers and watching "Where the Wild Things Are" with my hubby. Sure, we may have a green drink to complement this (I AM human after all!), but the binging days are over! I am celebrating in ways that make me feel good now and will make me feel better tomorrow.

Whatever your plans are, be safe and at least try your best to eat clean! :)

PS - I'd like to wish my dear friend Tamara a very Happy Birthday today! She is celebrating in Mexico, that lucky gal. She deserves the very best!

No comments:

Post a Comment