Friday, May 21, 2010

Working with the Pain

In my last blog entry, I talked about how the Biggest Loser Marathon pumped me up so much that I attempted to run the next day. The reason why I am saying "attempt" to run is because I've been struggling with a lower disc bulge and messy hip muscles, both gifting me with Sciatica.

Sciatica halted my running with muscle spasms in my calf, tingling in my feet, and an aggravating soreness in my hip. With the aid of an athletic therapist and trainer, I tirelessly worked on strengthening my core, hips and hamstrings to better stabilize my stride.


But even now when I try to run, the sciatica runs with me until I have to stop, feeling completely defeated.

I tried doing short jogging intervals, walking for a couple of minutes, jogging for 1 minute. Even the minute of jogging built up that irritation. I tried 30 seconds instead. STILL.

After watching the Biggest Loser Marathon, I was in awe of the contestants fighting through the pain and discomfort that comes from not only carrying that much more body weight but running for miles and miles and miles. They would talk about how sore their knees or ankles were but then say they wanted to reach their goal (being a friggen MARATHON!) so badly that they just kept moving. They would walk for a bit then get back in to a jog. They worked with the pain, not against it.

So the day after, I decided I was going to give running another shot, but take the babiest step I could imagine so that I could reach my goal of getting through the trail without the intense sciatic irritation. My jogging intervals were gonna be 10 seconds. I know, sounds pathetic. My Boot Campers run for much longer than that. But I couldn't let my Ego get the best of me - I needed to set a reasonable interval so that the irritation didn't build up before I went back to my power-walking.

10 seconds fly. I paid attention to my form and tried not to let thoughts of sciatica enter my brain. After I finished the first interval, I made a point of celebrating this small victory. Sure, it was only 10 seconds of jogging, but I made it through without feeling pain. That small celebration lifted my positivity and I was good to go the rest of the way (just over 3 miles). Continuing with 10 second intervals, making sure I didn't get so gung ho that I went longer.

Towards the last few intervals, that discomfort in my foot arose, then my calf, then my hip. But instead of getting scared about it holding me back, I took deep breaths and reminded myself I only have a few seconds left. I tried my best to just accept the pain and allow my strength and determination push through. And it worked! I finished my trail and even though my total run time was so short, I felt victorious for saying that I actually ran. I felt strong, limber, and ecstatic. I will attempt this interval circuit a few times, while continuing my core stabilization exercises, and see how it impacts my gradual increase in interval times. I'll definitely keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment