Thursday, May 20, 2010

Finding Inspiration

It's been a while since I've written a blog. I would come to my page at least once a day thinking that a topic would just appear, like pulling a rabbit out of a hat. But I would stare at my page, wondering what I could write to entice, inform, entertain...anything that will make a  (and myself) satisfied . Nothing.

Then I watched this week's episode of The Biggest Loser.

The season is nearing an end and this week the remaining contestants ran a marathon. Know how many miles that is? 26.2. Know how many months they all have been losing weight until running this marathon? SIX. Yes, in just six months, these morbidly obese, out of shape, and very unhappy people worked their asses off every day to not only lose weight, but become so much healthier, from the inside out. Doesn't 6 months sound like a painfully minute amount of time to prepare for a marathon? I mean, people train year-round to get to that point, many of them in better shape than these contestants. And here they are, still carrying a lot of weight, running up and down hills for 26.2 miles.

 A pic of the cast at the beginning of the season - just six months later, 4 of them ran a marathon.

As I watched the footage of their run (while mentally blocking out the cheesy music and dramatic shots), I couldn't help but get PSYCHED for the contestants. I was also in awe because I am not the runner I once was due to a nagging injury. But as I watched the BLers run/walk through knee pain and calf strains, inspiration just washed over me. They were able to mentally fight through any physical discomfort to just finish what would be one of the biggest feats of their lives. They were able to find the inspiration and motivation to go all the way. How can you not feel inspired by this?

The Final Four before their big race. Daris (left) destroyed the previous BL Marathon Record with a time of 4:02.

You know, inspiration can come from many things...I was having a hard time thinking about a blog topic and this episode started a chain reaction of creativity. The next morning, I attempted to run, which further motivated me, which inspired me to think of several blog topics (breaking my drought), which made me think about all other ways in which I can become a better trainer, which made me excited about life in general.

Just like negativity can start a downward spiral of destructive actions, thoughts, etc...an inspiring moment can breed positivity, breeding motivation, breeding creativity...to not a downward spiral but an exciting climb up to the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment