Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Power of Visualization

My favorite cardio workout at the gym is the cycling on the spinning bike. I go for 30-45 minutes at a light-moderate resistance and moderate pace. I absolutely LOVE how I feel afterwards.

There is a little TV attached to the bike where you can train to a variety of spinning videos. And every time I spin, I also am on a date with the guy starring in these videos! Not sure what his name is, but he's blonde, slim, and definitely not my type. But I've acquired a huge crush on him - because he coaches you through the whole ride, giving you positive reinforcement and guidance (um not to mention the fact he has a great smile and calming voice). The best thing he does is give you visualization exercises which I look forward to every single ride.

He says something a long the lines of this:

"Close your eyes and picture yourself on a road. It can be any where you want, the road is flat and smooth and it's just you and your bike. You are riding down that long road. And at the end of the road is you. It's the you of tomorrow, next week, next month, a year from now, whatever your goal is, that is who is standing at the end of the road. And you are riding towards that goal."

How cool is that? It's one thing to picture yourself in the middle of a forest on a peaceful journey, but there's something extremely special about riding to the you of tomorrow.

This provides powerful motivation and just makes me feel good, because I know I am moving towards that goal. No matter how far away, I am still moving forward.

What do you visualize when you are training?

1 comment:

  1. I love it Naz! I never thought about doing that on my spin rides! Going have to try this next time!

    ReplyDelete