Friday, December 25, 2009

Priorities

A few weeks ago I was talking to a friend about my tendency to "over-give" due to my borderline obsession with thinking about what's best for others. The choices I make for myself are often contingent upon how my actions or decisions will affect others, even if in a very indirect, sometimes fabricated way. For example - and don't laugh at me - if someone's actions are bothering me or hurting my feelings, I tend to avoid confronting them. Not because I don't like confrontation, but because I don't want to embarrass them or inadvertently hurt their feelings. Absurd, right?!

Anyway, I was telling my friend that this is the first time in a long time that I've felt genuinely content with everything happening in my life including: my environment, my marriage, my social networks, and my health. And much of this feeling of real happiness started to sink in when I began this journey to Superfitness.

Why?
Because this journey has been a tremendous opportunity to make myself a priority in my life. I am putting my feelings and my well-being before anyone else's, and I've felt better as a result.
There is so much satisfaction in putting my committment and motivation into a program dedicated to my life-long health...and the achievements of my goals- big or small- further add to my happiness. And I believe I can more effectively care about others when I am taking care of myself too.

So here's an interesting reflection: another way to look at improving or changing your life to one that is healthier means making yourself your priority, and in turn, enriches your sense of well-being!

No comments:

Post a Comment