Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Trimming the Fat this Thanksgiving

For Thanksgiving, we are going down to South Florida to visit the in-laws. I'm really looking forward to seeing them...I've missed the family and have felt itchy to escape town for a minute. I, like everyone else, am already excited about eating some delicious turkey and his yummy side-friends!

I'm all about indulging once in a while and I do think occasions such as Thanksgiving are acceptable times to 'cheat'. But there's that fine line between savoring and devouring and I know I'll be aware of it. I definitely plan on avoiding the gluttony that runs rampant every Thanksgiving! Will you? Here's a game plan to help trim the fat from our Thanksgiving meal.

1. Choose the protein, the veg, then the carbs, in that order. This should be easy for me because I'm always hungry for protein. However, is green bean casserole really considered a veg with all that creamy mushroom soup and dehydrated onions? Go for the roasted veggies and salad first. I hear my mom-in-law is gonna make a sweet potato casserole (without the marshmallows), so that will be a healthy, delicious carb option.

2. Savor the flavour. With reasonable portions, I'll make a point of savoring each bite rather than shoveling through to the next round. Remember, it can take 20 minutes for your stomach to register being full but only 5 minutes to finish your plate. Then you're on to the next. And then you have two servings of dessert before the 20 minutes is up. By then, you're wishing you wore sweatpants and feeling ready to bust open. I'm definitely gonna avoid that feeling and take my time, enjoying conversation with my family instead.

3.  Hide the plate when you're done. The longer you hang on to it, the more tempted you'll be to get another scoop of mashed potatoes. Either put your napkin on top, or leave it in the kitchen.

4. Walk it off. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to put your shoes on and leave for a half an hour, just keep moving. Mingle or throw on the Wii and play a game with your family. Make it easier for your food to digest!

5. Remember, it's not just about the food! Thanksgiving is about family, friends, and of course, being Thankful for what we have. Enjoy the moment and remember everything you are thankful for. I'm thankful for being healthy, having people whom I love, my amazing job, and living in safety and freedom...amongst so many other things. This will be my reminder when I start to get lost in my plate! :)

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

PS - This game plan can also be applied to the rest of your holiday feasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment